La Gaspesienne Ship Model - Free Shipping
This models hull is handcrafted from strips of wood using the plank on frame method. The ship model is then painted in three colors. The deck is beautifully planked from many strips of wood. There are various details on the deck such as hatches, winches, and the cabin. Located on the deck is a metal tilter near the companionway. The stitched sails and intricate rigging complete the definition of a true sailing boat.
Many hours go into the crafting of this model ship. Our meticoulous builders spend many hours crafting the details and adding the finish.
This model is hand made by a master craftsman. Our model ship and model boats are not from any kit. Hundreds of hours are spent assembling these beautiful repicas of Antique Ships. Our wood goes through a special seasoning process so it will not warp or split.
Exotic woods are used such as Rosewood, Teak, Mahogany, Ebony, English Sycamore, Blackwood And Cherry wood.
This historic model ship comes with a high quality, conditioned wood base complete with its own brass name plate. Skilled builders and artisans are responsible for the construction of every one of our handcrafted wooden model ships. To create a sturdy, perfectly aligned, built-to-scale masterpiece, each model’s frame and hull have to be precisely assembled.
The model is secured tightly on a solid wood base with a brass nameplate. The mast and sails are folded down for easy packaging and shipping. It takes about 20 minutes to stand the mast.
This series of fishing boats were comissioned by the Quebec provincial governement and built in a Gaspe boatyard as well as a levis small shipyard Davie Bros. The boats had an oil engine I guess Ruston but i am not sure! those engines not adequate and were replaced! The boats had also originaly two mast and sails. The design was developped by Howard Chapelle a naval architect of Boston but but born in Nova Scotia.
Chapelle lifted and used the lines of the smaller about (30ft) now disapeared Gaspe fishing barge herself imported by Jersey Island fishing settlers (The Robin co) on this Canadain coastal area.
The reputation of the salted dry cod (Gaspe-cured) was a high demand delicacy in Portigal as well as West Indies in the 1930 years.
Allison Davie started out in shipbuilding in Lévis, in 1832, in partnership with his father-in-law, George Taylor. After the founders' deaths, Davie's sons, Allison and George T., took over and in 1887, they bought land in Lauzon for a second shipyard, designed to handle larger, steel ships. That yard subsequently became Davie Shipbuilding and later spawned the neighboring George T. Davie shipyard. Meanwhile, the yard in Lévis, known as Davie Brothers, continued as a repair facility for smaller, wooden ships, under the management of the third generation, Allison C. Davie and George D. Davie. The last of the Davies died in 1951 but the yard continued under the management of its accountant, Paul Gourdeau, who began building fishing boats. In 1976, it was sold to Logistec Corporation, a coastal shipping operator, and in 1977, after Loi 101 made French the official language of Québec, the name was changed to Industries A. C. Davie. Finally, in 1987 it was sold to Equimer, a French marine equipment manufacturer, but closed in 1989. The yard was just north of the ferry terminal and is now a museum/park.
The George T. Davie yard was started in 1929, by several members of the Davie family, after Davie Shipbuilding was sold to Canada Steamship Lines. It was originally a small-vessel repair yard but it expanded into new construction in 1934. During the war years, employment rose from fewer than 100 workers to over 2,000. In 1961 it was sold to Canadian Vickers but was resold to Davie Shipbuilding in 1967 and shortly thereafter it was integrated with the bigger yard. The George T. Davie yard - known as Wee Davie -was immediately next door to Davie Shipbuilding - known as Big Davie. See it from the air on Google here: that's Wee Davie to the west of the foot of Rue George T. Davie, Big Davie to the east.